If you’re thinking of giving your home a makeover, adding some wallpaper is a great way to do it! Wallpaper can add some much-needed personality and style to any room. However, there are some dos and don’ts that you need to remember if you’re going to wallpaper your home.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dos and don’ts of wallpapering so that you can make sure that your walls look fabulous!
Types of Home Wallpaper
Before we discuss the dos and don’t of wallpaper, you must first know the different types of wallpaper.
With the various types of wallpaper, each one has its own set of pros and cons. The three main types of wallpaper are:
- Vinyl Wallpaper: This type of wallpaper is made from PVC vinyl and is the most durable type of wallpaper. It’s also the most moisture-resistant, making it an excellent choice for bathrooms or kitchens. However, it can be pretty pricey.
- Fabric Wallpaper: Fabric wallpaper is an excellent choice if you’re looking for wallpaper made from fabric. Fabric wallpaper is something that’s both stylish and durable. However, it’s important to note that fabric wallpaper can be susceptible to staining.
- Paper Wallpaper: Another type of wallpaper, which is the most common type of wallpaper, is the paper wallpaper. From the same itself, this is made from paper. It’s a great choice if you want something affordable and easy to install. However, it’s not as durable as vinyl or fabric wallpaper.
- Liner Wallpaper: On the other hand, this type of wallpaper is a type of underlay used to create a smooth surface for your wallpaper. Using a liner is essential if you’re using fabric or paper wallpaper.
- Foil Wallpaper: Lastly, foil wallpaper is a type of wallpaper made from metal foil. It is an excellent choice if you want something stylish and durable.
How to Choose the Right Wallpaper?
Now that you know the different types of wallpaper, how do you choose the right one for your home? Here are a few things you should keep in mind.
The type of room
Vinyl wallpaper is an excellent choice if you’re wallpapering a room with a lot of traffic or moisture. And if you want to add personality to a room, then fabric wallpaper is a great option. Moreover, paper wallpaper is a great choice if you’re looking for something affordable and easy to install.
The look you want to achieve
Do you want your room to look bold and dramatic? Or do you want something more subdued and elegant? The type of wallpaper you choose should match the look you’re going for.
Wallpaper can be pretty pricey, so you must set a budget before you start shopping. Once you know how much you’re willing to spend, you can narrow down your choices and find something that fits your style and budget.
Your style preference
Are you drawn to bold and vibrant patterns? Or do you prefer something more subdued and classic? The type of wallpaper you choose should also reflect your style.
Wallpaper Decorating Tips
Preparing Your Walls for Wallpaper
Before you start wallpapering, you must ensure that your walls are properly prepared. This means cleaning the walls, filling in any holes or cracks, and sanding down any rough spots.
If you’re unsure how to prepare your walls for wallpaper, check out this helpful guide on the dos and don’t when using wallpaper.
Dos and Don’ts of Wallpapering
Now that you know how to choose the suitable wallpaper and prepare your walls, it’s time to learn the dos and don’ts of wallpapering.
What to do when using wallpaper:
- Start with a fresh roll of wallpaper. Wallpaper is like paint in that it can also fade over time. So, if you’re using old wallpaper, it’s best to start with a fresh roll.
- Do use a wallpaper primer. Wallpaper primer will help the wallpaper adhere to the wall and make removing it easier if you ever decide to redecorate.
- Do take your time. Wallpapering is not a quick process, so taking your time and doing it right is essential. If you rush, you’re more likely to make mistakes.
What not to do when using wallpaper:
- Don’t apply wallpaper to walls that are not smooth. This is because, The wallpaper will not adhere properly to rough walls, so it’s essential to ensure that your walls are soft before you start wallpapering.
- Don’t use regular paint on walls that you’re going to wallpaper. Paint prevents the wallpaper from adhering correctly and makes it difficult to remove.
- Don’t forget about trimming. When you’re wallpapering, don’t forget about the trim! Wallpaper can transform a room, but finishing the look is essential by wallpapering the edge.
Wallpaper Maintenance and Removal
Now that you know how to wallpaper your home, it’s also essential to understand how to properly maintain and remove wallpaper to keep your home’s value.
To maintain your wallpaper, dust it regularly with a soft cloth. You can also vacuum it with the upholstery attachment to remove any dirt or dust.
If you feel like replacing your wallpaper because it’s fading or want to restyle your room, it is vital to remove it the best way you can. To do that, you would need to use a steamer. A steamer will loosen the wallpaper so you can easily peel it off the wall.
If you don’t have a steamer, you can use a scoring tool to make small holes in the wallpaper. This will help the wallpaper release from the wall. Once the holes are made, peel the wallpaper off the wall.
Wallpapering your home can be a great way to add personality and style. Just make sure to follow these dos and don’ts to ensure that you’re doing it correctly. And if you ever need to remove your wallpaper, a steamer is the best way to do it.
Q: Can I use regular paint on my walls before wallpapering?
A: No, you should not use regular paint on your walls before wallpapering. Paint prevents the wallpaper from adhering correctly and makes it difficult to remove.
Q: Do I need to use a wallpaper primer?
A: Yes, it’s a good idea to use a wallpaper primer before you start wallpapering. Wallpaper primer will help the wallpaper adhere to the wall and make removing it easier if you ever decide to redecorate.
Q: How do I remove my wallpaper?
A: The best way to remove wallpaper is to use a steamer. A steamer will loosen the wallpaper so you can easily peel it off the wall. If you don’t have a steamer, you can use a scoring tool to make small holes in the wallpaper. This will help the wallpaper release from the wall.
Q: How do I maintain my wallpaper?
A: To maintain your wallpaper, dust it regularly with a soft cloth. You can also vacuum it with the upholstery attachment to remove any dirt or dust. Wallpaper is also very durable, so you don’t need to worry about getting damaged easily.
Wallpapering your home can be a great way to add personality and style. Before you do that, plan, choose a high-quality wallpaper and let your imagination run wild. If you have any wallpapering ideas and experience, we’d love to hear them in the comments!